My relationship with my booty and thighs is a tumultuous one. Ladies, I know I'm not alone in this. Some of us were doomed from childhood with the kind of body shape that is unforgiving on our bottom halves. While it's not going to be easy, it's time to start showing some love for our thunder thighs – if not for us, then for our daughters and other young girls in our lives. Why? Because we're passing down the “I can't wear shorts” mentality to girls of younger and younger ages.
When I was a kid, I was overweight. Not obese, but overweight. When I hit about 5th grade, I decided that my legs were too fat and too white to wear shorts. My school did not have air conditioning, and I would wear jeans on even the hottest days. Talk about miserable. When my classmates and friends would ask me, “hey, why aren't you wearing shorts?” I would reply with “I just don't like them.” Fifth graders shouldn't be ashamed of their legs.
Today, my shape has evened out a little. I enjoy running, biking, walking, kettle bell, and other activities. I am no longer in the overweight category (on the edge of it, but still), and I'm pretty muscly. However, my thighs still have cellulite on the sides and backs, my skin on my legs is so white that my veins show through, and my booty is more fit, but still large and in charge. Despite this, I've decided that it's time to stop caring about it. Men (or other women) nowadays like their ladies in all shapes and sizes, and smiles and personalities go a long way. So, how can you beat the “I can't wear shorts” mentality?
- Add some exercise a couple times a week that works your legs. Whether it's low-impact, like walking, or a bit harder, like doing a workout DVD at home or spending some time on the bike at the gym, building up your leg muscles will help reduce the jiggle.
- Buy the right-shaped shorts for your body. If you're really concerned about your thighs, grab some walking shorts that hit just above the knee. They're cooler than pants, but hide all the right things. Even popular stores, like Victoria's Secret and Old Navy, sell shorts in all colors, sizes, and lengths. They realize that not all women are meant for short shorts.
- If you want to hide your thighs entirely, go for skirts or dresses. They can be comfortable and airy, and flattering! Knee-length skirts are usually perfect at hiding big thighs or junk in the trunk.
- I can't speak for lotions and creams that are supposed to reduce the appearance of cellulite. I do, however, use tinted lotion that gradually makes my pasty-white legs appear a little tan. It helps my legs look smoother, and hides the appearance of veins through my skin.
- If you have varicose veins, there are non-invasive treatments nowadays that work wonders. Do some research for clinics in your area that offer varicose vein treatments.
Overall, adopting a better attitude about your body will help the most. Let's show the young girls in our lives that there's no reason to be ashamed of how we look.
Kass Clinics offers non-invasive vein treatment for varicose veins, facial veins, and spider veins.